Sunday, July 30, 2017

Sew Cute! Child's Butterfly Bib Apron (McCall's 6618)

How cute is this little butterfly on the bib of this apron?
I took a break from a wrap dress I'm working on as I need to fix a fit issue (it's a Vintage Vogue pattern for a Diane Von Furstenberg colorblocked wrapdress - pop over to my Instagram if you want a peek before I blog about it).  While I'm wrapping (ha!) my head around how best to fix the bodice I sewed a couple of quick kid's items.

One is this apron. The pattern, McCall's 6618, is now out of print.  The copyright date is 2012, and I don't remember exactly when I purchased it. I do know I've had it for a while.
I don't normally do a lot of craft sewing. Especially aprons as I like to create my own apron designs. But this one, with the lion, dinosaur, and butterfly faces, was too cute to pass by.

The apron is a great stash buster as there are lots of small pieces. I used yardage for the main apron body and ties. I used fat quarters for the rest of the pieces.  I didn't add the yo-yo flowers along the ric-rac as shown on the pattern envelope.  There is a nice big pocket in front. Who doesn't love a pocket?  I found the pattern piece for the pocket top binding was too small.  Other than that all the pieces fit together nicely.

The pattern calls for non-fusible fleece inside the butterfly body and wings.  I had fusible on hand so that's what I used.

The butterfly face, cheeks and circles on the wings are appliqued on. I used a narrow zig-zag stitch. The circles were pretty small and my machine applique skills are a bit rusty so it's not perfect. The butterfly eyes and mouth are embroidered and the nose is a stitched on button.

It's a simple project and the perfect break before I go back and tackle my wrap dress.
Pin It

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin